Red light therapy at home has been gaining popularity in recent years as people spend more time inside & are looking for treatments that can improve their overall health and wellbeing. From reducing inflammation and pain to improving skin health and boosting muscle recovery, this non-invasive treatment has become a go-to for many individuals looking to improve their overall health in many aspects
While red light therapy is available at many spas and clinics, it can also be done at home with the use of medical-grade light therapy devices. In this ultimate guide, we’ll explore everything you need to know about red light therapy at home, including its benefits, the science behind light therapy,, and how to achieve the best results.
What is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy, also known as low-level light therapy (LLLT), is a form of phototherapy that uses red and near-infrared light to stimulate cellular function. This type of therapy has been used for decades to treat a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, skin disorders, and even depression.
The red and near-infrared light used in this therapy penetrates the skin and is absorbed by the cells, triggering a series of reactions that can lead to various health benefits. These reactions include increased production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy source for cells, and the release of nitric oxide, which helps improve blood flow and reduce inflammation.
Benefits Of Using Red & Near Infrared Light Therapy
Red Light Therapy has been used for many decades in health and has been studied extensively for its numerous therapeutic benefits which include:
- Reducing inflammation and pain: Red light therapy has been shown to reduce inflammation and pain in conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, and chronic back pain.
- Improving skin health: The red and near-infrared light used in home light therapy can help improve skin health by stimulating collagen production, reducing wrinkles and fine lines, and improving overall skin tone and texture.
- Boosting muscle recovery: Athletes and fitness enthusiasts often use red light therapy to speed up muscle recovery after intense workouts. The therapy helps reduce inflammation and promotes the growth of new muscle tissue.
- Enhancing mood and mental health: Red light therapy has been found to have a positive effect on mood and mental health, with some studies showing a reduction in symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Thicken Hair Follicles: Red (660nm) and near Infrared Light Therapy (850nm) are extensively used in hair salons and clinics to restore dead hair skin cells
Studies On Red Light Therapy
Addressing Acne with Red Light Therapy
One of the primary benefits of red light therapy for acne is its ability to reduce inflammation. The red light wavelengths have anti-inflammatory properties that can help calm the skin and reduce redness associated with acne. By decreasing inflammation, red light therapy can also alleviate pain and discomfort caused by acne breakouts.
Acne is often caused by the presence of bacteria on the skin. Red light therapy has been found to have antibacterial properties, making it effective in killing the bacteria that contribute to acne development. Blue Light also targets and destroys these bacteria and light therapy helps prevent new acne breakouts and promotes clearer skin.
Excessive oil production is a common factor in acne development. Red light therapy has been shown to regulate sebum production, the oil naturally produced by the skin. By reducing oil production, red light therapy helps keep the pores clear and minimises the likelihood of clogged follicles, leading to fewer acne breakouts.
Another significant benefit of red light therapy is its ability to accelerate the healing process. The red and NIR light wavelengths penetrate the skin, reaching the deeper layers where the acne lesions originate. This stimulates the production of new cells, increasing collagen; helping to repair damaged skin and promote faster healing of acne scars.
Clinical Studies on Red Light Therapy for Acne
Red Light Therapy For Hair Growth
Red light therapy can activate dormant hair follicles, coaxing them into the active growth phase (anagen phase). This process is particularly beneficial for individuals experiencing thinning hair or hair loss due to follicle inactivity.
Red light therapy has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce scalp inflammation. Chronic inflammation in the scalp can contribute to hair loss, so reducing inflammation may support a healthier hair growth environment.
The red light wavelengths can increase adenosine triphosphate (ATP) production in cells. ATP is a molecule responsible for energy transfer within cells, and higher ATP levels can enhance cell metabolism, including those of hair follicles, potentially promoting hair growth. Prolongation of Anagen Phase: Red light therapy may extend the duration of the anagen phase, which is the active growth phase of the hair cycle. A longer anagen phase means more time for hair to grow before transitioning to the resting (telogen) phase.
Some studies suggest that red light therapy may lead to thicker and stronger hair by enhancing hair shaft quality and
Clinical Studies on Red Light Therapy For Hair Growth
Today more studies prove that red and NIR light therapy is effective in hair growth. The following are examples of these studies:
A study in 2018  reviewed available literature on the use of red and NIR light for hair loss. The researchers proved that light in the red spectrum is effective for hair growth.
A study conducted in Korea published in 2020 determined the safety and efficacy of red light therapy in the treatment of alopecia. The results of meta-analysis showed that red light therapy has an efficacy on alopecia. Moreover, there were no serious side effects or adverse effects observed.
In 2013, years before these confirmatory studies, a pioneering study  researched on the safety and physiologic effects of red light therapy on males with androgenic alopecia. Results showed that red light therapy of the scalp at 655 nanometers significantly improved hair counts in males with androgenetic alopecia.
A similar study  was conducted, this time to female subjects, in 2014. Results have shown that red light therapy of the scalp at 655 nanometers significantly improved hair counts in women with androgenetic alopecia at a rate similar to that observed in males using the same parameters.
It is also important to note that on both pioneering studies with men in 2013 and women in 2014, no serious side effects or adverse effects had been observed.
In 2017, a similar study  was again conducted among women with androgenetic alopecia. This time, the human hair follicle and surrounding tissue structures are exposed to laser light using a device operating at 650 nanometers. The device was placed inside a sports cap to promote discretion while in use. The researchers observed significant increase in hair growth among the test subjects.
Red Light Therapy For Anti-Aging
Red light therapy has been shown to stimulate fibroblasts, the cells responsible for producing collagen. Collagen is a crucial protein that provides structural support to the skin, maintaining its firmness and elasticity. By promoting collagen production, red light therapy can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, giving the skin a more youthful and plump appearance.
As the skin ages, it can develop wrinkles and fine lines due to decreased collagen levels and other factors. Red light therapy’s ability to boost collagen production, as well as improve blood circulation and tissue repair, may contribute to reducing the depth and visibility of wrinkles.
Red light therapy can enhance skin texture by promoting the turnover of skin cells. It helps exfoliate dead skin cells and encourages the growth of newer, healthier skin cells, leading to a smoother and more even skin tone.
Red light therapy enhances blood flow to the skin, bringing with it more oxygen and nutrients. This improved circulation can rejuvenate the skin and promote a healthy, glowing complexion.
Red light therapy may aid in repairing sun-damaged skin by stimulating cellular repair processes and reducing inflammation. It can also help fade dark spots and hyperpigmentation caused by prolonged sun exposure.
Chronic inflammation can contribute to premature aging of the skin. Red light therapy’s anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce skin inflammation, leading to a calmer and more balanced complexion.
Red light therapy is a non-invasive and painless procedure, making it a safe and comfortable option for individuals seeking anti-aging treatments without the need for surgical interventions.
Clinical Studies on Red Light Therapy For Anti-Aging
Another study  conducted in 2018 revealed that red light therapy stimulates fibroblast proliferation, collagen synthesis, growth factors, and extracellular matrix production by activating cellular mitochondrial respiratory pathways. The result is lifting and tightening lax skin and the reduction of rhytids.
Still another study conducted in 2009 investigated on the use of 660 nanometers of red light to reverse the downregulation in collagen synthesis and an elevation in matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) expression in the skin . Results showed that red light therapy using 660 nanometers pulsed LED light is a safe and effective collagen-enhancement strategy.
In 2017, a study  also showed the effectiveness of red light therapy in collagen synthesis and in treatment of fine lines and wrinkles.
A 2013 study focusing solely on the effects of red light therapy in skin  demonstrated that red light therapy has beneficial effects on wrinkles, acne scars, hypertrophic scars, and healing of burns. It further established that red light therapy is effective even for pigmentary disorders such as vitiligo as well as in inflammatory diseases such as psoriasis and acne.
An earlier study in 2006  on 36 subjects reported statistically significant improvement in wrinkles. The majority of the subjects reported improvements in softness, smoothness, and firmness of the skin after combined 633-nanometer and 830-nanometer light-emitting diode (LED) treatments.
These clinical and scientific studies on the effect of red light therapy to the synthesis of collagen in cells and tissues of the body in recent years prove the effectivity and efficiency of red light therapy for promoting healthy aging.
Red Light Therapy For Pain & inflammation
Reduction of Inflammation: Red light therapy’s anti-inflammatory properties help to decrease inflammation in affected tissues. By reducing pro-inflammatory cytokines and promoting the release of anti-inflammatory molecules, it helps to mitigate the body’s inflammatory response.
Enhanced Blood Circulation: Red light therapy improves blood circulation in the treated area. This increased blood flow delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the tissues, promoting the body’s natural healing processes and reducing swelling.
Stimulated Cellular Repair: Red light therapy stimulates cellular repair and regeneration, which can aid in healing damaged tissues and reducing the duration of recovery.
Joint Pain Management: For conditions like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, red light therapy has been found to alleviate joint pain and improve joint mobility.
Musculoskeletal Injuries: Red light therapy may accelerate the healing of sprains, strains, and other musculoskeletal injuries, providing pain relief and promoting tissue repair.
Back Pain Relief: Studies have shown that red light therapy can be effective in reducing chronic lower back pain, a prevalent issue that affects many individuals.
Sports Injuries: Athletes and active individuals may benefit from red light therapy for sports-related injuries, such as muscle strains or tendonitis.
Non-Invasive and Safe: Red light therapy is a non-invasive and safe treatment with minimal side effects, making it an attractive option for pain management without the use of medications or surgery.
Complementary Therapy: Red light therapy can be used as a complementary treatment alongside other modalities to enhance pain relief and inflammation reduction.
Clinical Studies on Red Light Therapy For Pain & Inflammation
How to Use Red Light Therapy at Home
Using red light therapy at home is relatively simple, but it’s important to follow the instructions provided with your device to ensure safety and effectiveness. Here are the basic steps to follow:
Choose the right device for you:
- There are many red light therapy devices available on the market, including handheld devices, panels, and full-body beds. Consider your budget, the area you want to treat, and the intensity of the light when choosing a device. If you’re unsure about what devices will suit you and work best for you in treatment, we recommend you contact us
Prepare the area:
- Before starting the therapy, make sure the area you want to treat is clean and free of any lotions or creams. This will ensure that the light can penetrate the skin effectively.
Position the device:
- Depending on the type of device you have, you may need to position it at a certain distance from your skin. Follow the instructions provided with your device to ensure the correct distance.
Start the therapy:
- Turn on the device and start the therapy session. Most devices have a timer or automatic power-off time (generally around 15 mins), so you can set the desired length of the session. It’s recommended to start with shorter sessions and gradually increase the time as your skin gets used to the therapy.
Clean and store the device:
- After the session is complete, make sure to clean the device according to the instructions provided and store it in a safe place.
Pros Of Using Red Light Therapy At Home
Red light therapy can be beneficial whether done at home or in a clinic setting. However, there are some advantages to using red light therapy at home:
1. Convenience: One of the main advantages of using red light therapy at home is convenience. Having a device at home allows you to incorporate the therapy into your daily routine without the need to travel to a clinic. This can save you time and money in the long run.
2. Cost-effective: Red light therapy sessions at clinics can be quite expensive, especially if you require multiple sessions. By investing in a red light therapy device for home use, you can save money in the long term as you won’t have to pay for each individual session.
3. Privacy: Some people may prefer to have privacy during their red light therapy sessions. By using a device at home, you can have the privacy you desire without having to share the space with other people at a clinic.
4. Flexibility: When using a red light therapy device at home, you have the flexibility to customize your sessions according to your needs. You can choose the duration and frequency of your sessions based on your schedule and personal preferences.
5. Long-term use: Having a red light therapy device at home allows for consistent and long-term use. This is important for achieving optimal results with red light therapy, as it requires regular and consistent sessions over time.
It’s important to note that while using red light therapy at home has its advantages, it’s always recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new treatment. They can provide guidance and ensure that red light therapy is safe and suitable for your specific needs
Tips For Achieving the Best Results with Red Light Therapy At Home
To achieve the best results with red light therapy at home here are some useful tips to keep in mind when commencing light therapy treatment;
- Be consistent: Like any other treatment, consistency is key when it comes to red light therapy. Make sure to use the device regularly and follow the recommended treatment schedule.
- Use the right intensity: It’s important to start with a lower intensity and gradually increase it as your skin gets used to the therapy. Using too high of an intensity can cause skin burns and may not be as effective.
- Combine with a healthy lifestyle: While red light therapy can have numerous benefits on its own, combining it with a healthy lifestyle can enhance its effects. Make sure to eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep for optimal results.
- Take before and after pictures: Taking pictures before and after using red light therapy can help you track your progress and see the results for yourself.
Which Red Light Therapy Device Will Work Best For Me For Home Use?
The most suitable red light therapy device for home usage depends on several factors, including the treatment size, the specific area you want to target, and your budget. Here’s a breakdown of considerations for different body parts:
- For targeted facial treatment, a handheld or portable red light therapy device is a great choice.
- Consider a smaller panel or a device with interchangeable attachments designed for facial treatments.
- Compact and precise devices are ideal for facial applications.
- If you need to treat a large area like your back, a larger panel or a ceiling-mounted device can provide even coverage.
- Opt for a device with an adjustable stand or a versatile design to accommodate the back’s size and shape.
- A handheld device can work well for neck treatments due to its flexibility and precision.
- Devices with a narrow beam angle (30-60 degrees) can effectively target the neck area.
- Larger panels or floor-standing units are suitable for treating the legs, as they offer broader coverage.
- Look for devices with a comfortable setup that allows you to position the light source at different angles for optimal results.
- Similar to back treatments, larger panels or versatile devices are effective for shoulder areas.
- Consider devices with adjustable angles and height for a customizable experience.
- The choice depends on the specific chest area you wish to target.
- Handheld devices or smaller panels can be effective for precise treatments, while larger panels work well for broader coverage.
- Budget: The cost of red light therapy devices can vary significantly. Determine your budget and explore options within your price range.
- Versatility: Some devices offer a combination of red light and near-infrared light, which may be suitable for broader treatment options.
- Portability: Consider whether you need a device that’s stationary or portable, depending on your lifestyle and preferences.
Remember, the size of the treatment area is a crucial factor in selecting the most suitable red light therapy device for your home. Ensure that the device you choose aligns with your specific needs and provides adequate coverage for the areas you want to target.
Visit Our Red Light Therapy Showroom In Melbourne
Leredd was founded on the mission to give Australians the most luxurious & unique range of Red Light Therapy to treat a multitude of benefits. We are proud of what we do for our customers and love to hear the stories of how our devices help benefit your everyday life. Visit us in-store today or shop online to become part of the family. We also offer Consultations In Person and Over Zoom for your convenience
Discover the transformative power of red light therapy right in the comfort of your own home. This safe and effective method is your key to unlocking a healthier, more vibrant you. By delving into the incredible benefits, being aware of potential risks, and mastering the proper usage techniques, you’re poised to harness the full potential of this non-invasive treatment. Before embarking on this journey, a consultation with a healthcare professional is advisable to ensure a tailored approach to your well-being. Rest assured, by adhering to the manufacturer’s guidance, you’re on the path to maximising the remarkable advantages of red light therapy.”